Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Look before you leap...list

(or why I use elipses so often...)



This year's leap year and I saw a Honda commercial the other day touting a leap list. Like all good ads the term leap list kept rolling around in my head until I was forced... to...go... to the Honda website:

http://automobiles.honda.com/leap-list/my-list/?item=&goal=1

So the leap-list campaign is a pretty snazzy one aimed at 30/40/50 somethings who aren't quiiiiteeee ready to do a bucket list.  Before you make your next "leap" in life make a list of 10 things you'd like to do/accomplish.  The most popular ones are:

travel to Europe (done but always ready/willing/able to do more....)

learn a new language (hopefully to tie in with numero uno)

buy a house (i'd just like to QUALIFY to buy a house at this point)

start my own business (in a different economy)

live abroad for an extended period of time

go skydiving (would probably help with item number two, I'm sure I'd be saying a few new phrases)

run a half marathon (see my blogstream of consciousness remark above)

graduate college (overdone)

get married (getting married is easy, it's the staying that's the hard part)

run a marathon (would prolly entail more new phrases than number two or the half math, besides every morning by the time I do everything that has to be done before I sit down at my desk I feel like i've run the gauntlet)

So it hits me, aside from the running and skydiving, I've DONE alot of these things, and truly given my caffeine intake really don't need falling through the air with the greatest of un-ease added to MY list.  I suspect the people compiling the Honda list are slight bit younger than my demographic also...

So here's my list:

1.   publish something (this is akin to skydiving in my reality)

2.   take a consumer detox (especially challenging when you have a kiddo)...live on cash only

3.   speaking of, travel with her (and I don't just mean to Disney)....make it include sleeping under stars

4.  take her to Manhattan / Ellis Island  and look up our ancestors

5.   travel to Hawaii, walk on then collect some black beach sand

6.   take a Gondola ride with my love

8   cruise the MED

9.   meditate in sedona, then count shooting stars (see 3)

10.  swim with dolphins

11. roadtrip for at least two weeks with no destination planned

12.  ufo watch out west on the ET highway

13. walk in a crop circle or three

14.  visit arecibo (yes CONTACT is one of my favorite movies)

15. get the tattoo

16. rock a bikini

17.  practice yoga daily

18.  drink in Doheny and Nesbitt's in Dublin

19.  take my daughter Savannah to Savannah

20. see the pyramids and cruise the Nile

21.  eat at an automat in Toykyo

22.  live transparently while retaining my southern belleness

23.  own a home that is a home (that's WAY different from buying a house)

24.  learn to ride a bike (secret shame, enough said)

25.  cook...and enjoy the results

26  climb to the top of a Mayan temple

27. meet a tibetan sherpa

28.  see billy joel in concert one more time (sing LOUD)

29.  karaoke in japan, visit harajuku

30.  take really good photos of it ALL (except below)

31.  make love with my love in a wheat field

32.  sleep in a haunted castle; i'd love to see a ghost

33.  spend a few months in an ashram



I will say this,  my biggest leaps are the people I love and everyday magic moments with them... THOSE are the things layered in my elipses...my pauses as I'm gathering thoughts....and why I use them so often...

what's on your list?  it doesn't have to be limited to 10 btw....those are Honda's rules, not mine...















No comments: